March 20, 2006

Supervisor, Day 1

My first official day as a supervisor went less then stellar.

There were system problems at work on Friday after I left. That means that people could not clock out using the online time clock system we have. When that happens, the individual’s supervisor is supposed to manually enter the punches the next day when the system is working. This morning when I arrived at work I had to correct the punches for 16 people. When I went to correct them I quickly discovered I STILL don’t have access to the systems that I need to do my job. Right now 16 people have some screwed up paychecks coming their way as it was all due by 10 AM, and as of 4:30 when I left, I still didn’t have access.

Then the next bit of fun I had was the joy of advising all of my new employees that they have to put in 5 hours of mandatory OT this week. If you want to make an impression with 16 new employees, this is the way to do it. Now mind that I didn’t say a “good” impression, just an impression. At least they chuckled when I asked them to hold off throwing things at me until the end of the day, as I didn’t want to sit around all sticky with fruit and vegetable juices all day.

Next I had to settle into my new desk. The person I replaced retired. She was a nice lady; she was so nice she left the desk completely loaded with all of her stuff, in case I needed it. Since she didn’t want any of it anymore, she just left it where it was, including personal effects. It took me 3 hours to go through everything that she left. I’ve always been part pack rat, but I have nothing on my predecessor. She had 3 staplers, 5 staple pullers, 6 boxes of staples, 34985720987459872459872346 pens, pencils and highlighters. 4 packages of legal pads, at least 500 hanging file folders, 30 pads of post it notes, more paperclips then I could fathom and an obscene about of pushpins. I also found reports and documents from 1993 as well as three boxes of floppy disks, 5 ¼ inch, that nobody seemed to know what they where and we don’t even have a computer in the office that has that size of drive so I could check out what they were. There where corporate reports from the 80’s and 90’s.

I have to go through every item before I can toss it. I feel like an archeologist digging through a newly found, untouched site. I’ve only made it through about 1/3 of the drawers so far; I have a long way to go.

I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Posted by Contagion in Tales from the Work Place at March 20, 2006 06:00 PM | TrackBack

Sucks that your day was shitty, and all that...

Was one of those staplers a red one? Milton is looking for it...

Oh, and good luck.

Posted by: That 1 Guy at March 20, 2006 06:07 PM

I have no doubt about you makin' an impression. No doubt at all. ;-)

And hey, at least you're gettin' all the crap out of the way right up front.....

Here's hopin' tomorrow is better.

Posted by: Tammi at March 20, 2006 08:11 PM

Hoo boy! That's no fun... Hopefully tomorrow will be better... (and maybe you'll find a winning lotto ticket! there's bound to be a pony under all of that sh*t...)

Posted by: Richmond at March 20, 2006 08:18 PM

dammit, T1G. That was MY joke.

But you can send the highlighters, legal pads, and folders in my direction....

Posted by: caltechgirl at March 20, 2006 08:36 PM


Oops.. sorry, CTG!

Posted by: That 1 Guy at March 21, 2006 07:27 AM

OOO, post-it notes. We can only have one pad at a time, can I have yours?

Posted by: Oddybobo at March 21, 2006 08:10 AM

Geeze. You could donate it to the local charity. ;-)

Posted by: vw bug at March 21, 2006 09:49 AM

Dude - they would Sh*t if we had that many supplies in our desk where I work.....

Posted by: Carmen at March 21, 2006 02:22 PM