January 05, 2007

Toe Jam.

I took last Thursday off from work. I figured I had some more vacation time coming to me and I needed to use it. Plus it gave me time to help prepare for the party. Since I had taken the time off, I also figured it would allow me to get some extra sleep. Yea, that didnít work.

Thursday morning Clone comes and wakes me up, saying heís hungry. Letting Ktreva sleep, cause she had the whole week off and was just plum exhausted not getting her 10 hours of sleep, I went to feed the boy. After I put him in his chair and got him his breakfast, it dawned on me that the whole house humidifier we have wasnít running. Sure enough, it was out of water. I pulled out the two 2.5 gallon tanks and filled them up. While walking back to the humidifier with the tank, it started to slip out of my hands. I moved really quickly to catch it, and at the same time driving my left foot right into Cloneís chair.

There was a pop and pain coming from my middle toe on my left foot. I looked at it, and it seemed okay. I went, finished getting dressed, including putting on socks and shoes and started about my day. The day was filled with shopping, that meant a lot of walking. By the time we got home that night my foot was throbbing and really aching. I told Ktreva I thought I broke my toe, and explained what happened. She told me to take off my sock and shoe so she could take a look at it.

As soon as I had the sock off she winced. My toe was black and purple. It had swollen up and looked like an over stuffed blood sausage. But most noticeably was the way it bent at a 30-degree angle to the left over the toe next to it. Yea, that didnít look right. She told me to go to the hospital. Why? Why would I go to the hospital? All they are going to do is take some x-rays, say there is nothing they can do and tape it up after straightening it out. Well except take my $50.00 ER copay. I had a broken toe some ten years ago and thatís all they did then.

Ktreva ran and got the bandage tape we have while I straightened my toe. It only hurt for about 20 seconds when I pulled on it. It was the popping, crunching sound it made and the feel of it going back in place that really made the whole experience interesting. I taped it up and off I went. Of course I made sure I had my steel toed boots on at all times, no need for someone to needlessly step on it since it happened. Everything seems to be okay.

Sure itís still a little swollen, and there is a good discoloration to it, but itís feeling much better.

Posted by Contagion in Stories about me. at January 5, 2007 06:01 PM | TrackBack

Owie, owie, owie.... Maybe you should soak it in some Glogg. Couldn't hurt!

Posted by: Richmond at January 5, 2007 06:26 PM

OW! That hurts just to read. You must consume quantities of calming beverages with moderate alcohol content to soothe the pain... heh.

Posted by: Barb at January 5, 2007 06:43 PM

Ouch. Broke a toe once... yep, not much they can do, but it sure can hurt!

Posted by: vw bug at January 5, 2007 07:02 PM

When my blog gets back up (hosting issues being resolved as I type this, yay!) I'll post my nasty toe snapping story. Three at once folks... owwwww...

Posted by: Graumagus at January 6, 2007 12:11 AM

At least it's a middle toe. It has bodyguards on either side. Still, no playing soccer for awhile.


Posted by: Jerry at January 6, 2007 12:24 AM

Aww, poor baby!

Broken plenty of my toes, not fun but not too bad.

Posted by: Quality Weenie at January 6, 2007 02:34 PM

... holy shit, man... you have to take better care of yourself!...

Posted by: Eric at January 7, 2007 05:44 PM

Pictures, please...

Posted by: Harvey at January 8, 2007 09:34 PM