July 20, 2008

Here I am, in Oklahoma!

I boarded the bus to leave Rockford at 1 PM today and was able to get into O'Hare by 2:40PM. I was able to get through security rather quickly. I did make one faux pass, I didn't take my lap top out of my case. I wasn't aware that I had to... now I know. I've never traveled with one before.

I have officially decided that O'Hare is the most jacked up airport I've ever flown out of. I want to know what mental midget came up with the layout for this freaking maze? It absolutely is staggering the way they have the gates and concourses laid out. Thank god for a mobile GPS system or I would have been completely lost. Oh, and I thought they had free WI-FI at O'Hare. Nope, they don't. You can get on to check the status of flights, but if you want to get to the internet you need to buy time. Yea, that wasn't about to happen. It's not that I'm cheap, even though I could squeeze a nickle until the buffalo farts, it's that I'm not paying $12.00 to use the internet for 30 minutes.

We got there in plenty of time for our flight, we should have only had to wait for about 20 minutes before boarding. Then they announced they we delaying our flight. Not for weather, not for mechanical problems, but because the First Officer on our flight was flying in a plane from Philadelphia and isn't due to arrive until 4:45PM. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 3:45 PM. United must have had a screw loose to make that kind of scheduling error. Apparently they realized their mistake and found another First Officer to take his place, so we only left 30 minutes behind schedule.

We arrive in Tulsa to a very vacant airport. It's nice, clean and was easy to maneuver through. There wasn't a huge crowd of people you had a fight past. My traveling companion, Employee-M, and I had to laugh when we got the rental car. Apparently my company thought I would love to drive this Kia Rondo. It's like a clown car that I barely fit in. Not because I'm of noble girth, it's because I'm about 2 inches too tall for it. Employee-M nicknamed it "The Clown Car". Because even she, who is inches shorter than I am thought it was awfully small.

When we get to the hotel, we checked in easily enough. I get to my floor and I instantly notice that it smells like mold and mildew. Now, I'm staying at the DoubleTree in Downtown Tulsa. This is supposed to be a really nice hotel. When I get to my room it also smells like mold and mildew. So I go back down to the desk and tell them that it stinks really bad, they where very quick to change rooms for me. They explained that there was some kind of leak on the roof that when it rains hard it leaks all the way down to the third floor... and only the third floor.

Since we hadn't eaten since before noon, both Employee-M and I were hungry. We headed into town to get something to eat... at 7:30PM. We ended up going to Joe's Crab Shack and had a great dinner. I also received all the voice mails and text messages from those of you that called and texted me when I turned my phone back on. Unfortunately it was late, and I didn't feel like responding tonight.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sleep.

Posted by Contagion in Stories about me. at July 20, 2008 09:33 PM | TrackBack

Glad to hear you made it ok - and that you found a connection to blog on! ;)
I forgot about the crab shack! I love that place! And I don't even like crab!

Posted by: Shadoglare at July 21, 2008 06:08 AM

Mmmm, crab.....

Glad you made it down alright.

Posted by: Wes at July 21, 2008 07:12 PM

Here's a tip - never...ever... ever travel to Logan in Boston. EVER. It makes O'Hare look like a model of efficiency. Really. Not that it's big - it's just supremely inefficiently run.

I try as hard as I can to fly out of Providence RI. It's small, but a terrific airport. O'Hare isn't too bad once you get the hang of it - it's simply huge and that can cause issues all by itself.

Posted by: Teresa at July 21, 2008 09:41 PM

Okay- since I have been on vacation, I had no idea you were in Oklahoma.

Going to be here long? I believe you are home this weekend, but are you coming back? And if so, how long are you going to be here?

I was in Tulsa on Tuesday.
OKC for the past three days.
And I leave for Temple Texas day after tomorrow for four days.
I will be back in OK on Thursday night.
You going to be here?

Call Teresa or Tammi or Richmond- they have my number!

Posted by: Rave at July 25, 2008 09:18 PM


Posted by: 钢托盘 at March 7, 2009 08:19 AM