October 02, 2008

Well, that wasn't fun.

Today was a very interesting day for me. Around 11:30 this morning my health issues came rushing upon me with a vengeance. I've normally been eating good and taking care of myself. I've been taking my medication and trying to make sure I don't do things that aggravate my stomach too bad. Occasionally I have problems, but not very often. When I do have complications it's usually something mild and over with in ten minutes.

One of the complications I have is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). When it flames up, one of the issues is chest and back pain. Normally when this happens to me it lasts about ten minutes until the medication kicks in. The pain has been likened to having a heart attack. In fact my father, who has had multiple heart attacks, has stated that when his GERD acts up, sometimes he can't tell the difference. In fact twice he went to the ER thinking he was having a heart attack when in reality it was a GERD flair up.

This morning my acted up that way, and it kept getting worse. Finally after about 45 minutes I contacted Ktreva and told her I needed to go to the hospital. I was sure it was my GERD, I just wanted to get the "Gastro milkshake" that makes all of the pain and acid reflux to go away. Unfortunately when management in my office heard the words "Pain" and "chest" they wigged out and called 911, against my will.

I didn't want the drama so I walked to the front of the building and then even walked to the ambulance. I kept telling them it was nothing, but they wouldn't listen to me. The whole time I was telling them what the issue was and that they were over reacting. When I was in the ambulance I apologized to them for making them work. Heck I apologized to the ER staff for making them work too.

To make a long story short after two IVs an EKG, some x-rays, blood tests and 3 hours of my life lost I was diagnosed with...

... GERD.

Yea, I went back to work for a couple of hours, much to the chagrin of the other management, especially after I explained that I was again, correct.

The funniest thing about all of this is that I was asked 4 times if there was any stress in my life. After explaining Oklahoma and some other situations I had one of the ER techs said, "I'm surprised you didn't have a heart attack!"

Posted by Contagion in Stories about me. at October 2, 2008 07:52 PM | TrackBack