December 24, 2008


Monday I took KTreva up to the UW Madison for her consult. That's what everything went from normal speed to whirlwind. We get stuck in traffic on the way up, some really bad accident due to the weather conditions closed down a lane on the highway and slowed traffic to a crawl. I kind of figured something may happen because of road conditions, so we had left early enough as to not be hindered by any traffic problems.

At the clinic (in the hospital) the doctor that came in wasn't the one that the Doctor that removed the tumors made the appointment. That doctor was gone and this doctor was covering. He came in, took one look at KTreva's wound and excused himself stating , "I need to get my camera and talk to the other doctor on duty." He was a resident and wanted the attending to take a look at it. 30 minutes later they come in and start saying that they had scheduled her for a surgery on the 22nd. It was going to be inpatient and she would be in the hospital for four days.

Things just kind of devolved from there. First when I tried to ask questions they would get upset and just talk over me or cut me off. At one point when I questioned why it had to be a 3-4 day inpatient stay, the attending because very agitated and made the statement, "I don't know what the other doctors said, but this is what we do and we know what we are doing."

They left to give us some time to talk it over. Ktreva called the first plastic surgeon she saw in Rockford and asked her opinion. While she was on the phone the resident came in and when I told him that she's trying to get ahold of her other doctor he seemed really put out over that, but agreed to give us some more time. We decided that if they are going to have to do an inpatient stay, we wanted it to be someplace closer to home. We also decided that if it wasn't that urgent (Since originally they weren't going to see her until after the new year), we were going to wait until after Christmas so that she could spend it with the family.

The doctors confirmed that it wasn't urgent and that they thought we wanted it done right away. They didn't even consult with us, they just scheduled it. When we told them of our decision, they were not pleased at all.

Then to make matters worse the resident told me that I was doing too much for the wound care and tried to show me how it "should be done". To save you the gory details, basically what the resident did and showed me cause Ktreva a lot of pain and discomfort. Needless to say we went back to doing what we were originally told.

The only good that came out of the day is that they did confirm that KTreva is cancer free. The biopsies are not showing any cancerous cells. She'll still need some followup and to have the wound closed, but they feel that she should be fine.

Posted by Contagion in Family Life at December 24, 2008 03:00 PM | TrackBack

Well at least yay for cancer-free - regardless of all the other crap!

Posted by: Shadoglare at December 24, 2008 03:50 PM bionic parts


Ktreva 1 Contagion 0

Posted by: Bruce at December 24, 2008 08:18 PM

Glad to hear cancer free.

Sounds like too many doctors who don't communicate.

Posted by: Petey at December 25, 2008 02:12 AM

Yay for Ktreva! Happy dance time! Boo-hiss for the doctors who forgot a patient is more than just 'a procedure'.

Posted by: Mrs. Who at December 25, 2008 06:28 AM

Well... damn what a mess.

First off I hope you all are having a Merry Christmas today! Best present of all - Ktreva being cancer free! Yay!

Next - I'm very glad you put your foot down about the surgery.

If it's not an emergency - it's often far far better not to be rushed into these things. You may even want more discussion with the Plastic surgeon before you let these other guys go messing about. They seem a bit over the top to me. (could be wrong - hard to tell that from a blog post).

Anyhow, hang in there and just enjoy the day today.

Posted by: Teresa at December 25, 2008 01:08 PM